Saturday, August 7, 2010

Smoking (BBQ that is)

So today was the first official test of the new smoker. Luckily I read the directions and realized that the smoker had to be cured for 3 hours prior to cooking anything. So after a 3 hour cure and a 4 hour nap it was time to put the meat on. We decided on a tri-tip roast (ribs were just too expensive) that I put a dry-rub on last night. Put 4 pieces of hickory wood chunks in the bottom on the lava rocks, and then I put a mix of beer, apple cider vinegar, and a bit of water into the water bowl. Placed the meat on the grill, closed up the smoker and plugged it in! Lo and behold, 30 minutes in, I could start to smell the nice scent of hickory smoke! I set the timer for 70 minutes (the smoker book gives a range of 30-40 minutes per pound), which was a bit too short as I was trying to reach 140° (trying for medium as my Mom isn't a fan of medium-rare). Gave it about 15 more minutes and it was good to go. Let it rest for 20 minutes (well a bit longer as the BF didn't put the corn on in time) and then my Dad (wasn't that nice of him?) sliced it up. Then it was time for the moment of truth... The meat was very juicy, but I personally thought the meat itself wasn't the greatest... it had a bit too much fat running thru it, and I think I would have prefered a mellower wood (maybe apple?), but all in all it was pretty tasty. I think it was a successful first run, and now I can't wait to try smoking other meats. Next on the list is baby back ribs, followed by venison sausage (once I make some that is). Oh and everyone is going to want to come to Thanksgiving dinner 'cause I'm going to make a smoked turkey! So many things to smoke... Until next time...

Rare130ºFRemove at 120-125ºF
Medium Rare 140ºFRemove at 130-135ºF
Medium150ºFRemove at 140-145ºF
Medium Well 160ºFRemove at 150-155ºF
Well Done170ºFRemove at 160-165ºF

No comments:

Post a Comment