Sunday, October 17, 2010

Apple Butter!


Fall is officially here, and that means one thing (ok so maybe a few things, but for the sake of this post) ...APPLES! My mom and I made applesauce a few weeks ago, but then I started to hear everyone talk about apple butter. People were either eating it or making it, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon. I woke up this morning (ok so it was afternoon) and it was a nice fall day (and not too cold) and I decided today is the day I'm going to make apple butter. Off I drove to the nearest produce stand, but alas no good cooking apples! Decided to go to the natural grocery store (mainly for apples, but it didn't hurt that today was Sample Saturday) and picked up 4 lbs of granny smith apples. After a trip back home to pick up my citrus press and apple cider vinegar I was off to visit the parents (they have a better stove AND all the canning acroutrements). Quartered the apples (nope, no peeling or coring in this recipe!) and threw in a pot with water and vinegar. After cooking them for 20 mins they were super soft and ready to be food-milled. Added sugar and spices to the puree and back to the pot for an hour of cooking and stirring. As it was cooking I got my canning supplies ready, sterilized the jars/lids/bands, and sat (and stirred) and waited. Finally the butter was ready! Processed the cans and now I have to wait 12-24 hours until I can touch them again! Luckily the recipe made more than I could can, so my parents and I all have a little taster bowl. Currently the apple butter is waiting in my fridge, where it awaits toast and butter. After looking online there are millions other ways to use A.B. and I'm sure my bowl won't last very long! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment