Saturday, August 22, 2009

Salsa


Today my boyfriend and I decided to have a salsa war. He would make his more of a "pico de gallo" style and I would make mine in the KitchenAid. I used the recipe included with the food grinder, however I omitted the chipotle, as no one in my family likes the smoky flavor. I used jalapenos instead, with garlic that I roasted in the oven. Also added 5 hothouse tomatoes, onions, and white wine vinegar. Put everything (save the vinegar) through the grinder with the coarse plate. It was a thinner salsa then I like, so I cooked it for about 12 mins. Once we were both done with the salsa it was time for the taste test. My boyfriend's salsa was really hot (I guess that's what happens when you use 3 serranos, 2 jalapenos, and 1 habanero!!) whereas mine was mild (with a nice tang from the vinegar). My mom liked it best when she mixed the 2 salsas together (which I will admit was pretty darn tasty) as it took some of the heat off the hot salsa. So I guess we will have to call a draw on the salsa war (with mine slightly edging ahead!). Now I want to make more salsa and can it.... but that's another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment